dead skin cells this week with DIY Day Spa at home!
1/8 – 1/4 cup of salt
1/4 cup of Coconut oil
It is nice to get a body scrub at the spa, but you can also give yourself one at home! The purpose of an at-home body scrub is to exfoliate the outermost layers of dead skin cells, revealing softer, younger cells just below.
Doing a body scrub at home is different in that you have all your creature comforts at home, but it might not feel as luxurious (or pampered) as a spa treatment might feel. DIY definitely has it’s benefits though! It is a lot less expensive, and you can give yourself one any time! You can make your own or pick up a body scrub or even use exfoliating mitts!
Personally, I like to use more oil than salt in my body scrub.
How To Give Yourself A DIY Body Scrub At Home
- It is always nice to soak in a nice hot tub first. Try adding lavender essential oil, ylang-ylang, or geranium-rose to make it more relaxing. Dry off.
- I sometimes just sit in the tub. Put a little bit of the scrub in your hands then start with long or circular strokes on your lower legs.
- Spend 5 minutes on your whole body, more than that, you might get irritated.
- When you stand up to do your backside, make sure you dont slip.
- With your back reach under your arm to get the mid-back, use the back of your hand to get between shoulder blades, then for the upper shoulder use the opposite hand. A side benefit is that doing this home scrub will keep you flexible too!
- When you’re done, take a shower, you may want to use a washcloth to pull some extra oil off.
DIY Scrub Tips
- Weekly body scrubs are a great way to keep your skin clean and exfoliated.
- If your skin looks irritated at any point, stop.
- Smaller grain salt is gentler than the large salt. At Hanalei Day Spa, we finely grind our Hawaiian Sea salt with a vita mix.
- You can also use the exfoliating mitts.
- Soothing aromatherapy; lavender, rose, geranium
- Avoid using on the face, it can be too harsh.
Therapeutic Body Scrub Tips, Ayurveda Kitchen Medicine
- If you’ve had a cold or flu, you can make your scrub more healing add 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 drops of eucalyptus, lemon, or orange oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp coffee grounds to increase circulation
- add 1/2 tsp charcoal to absorb toxins. (see our serious cleanse body mask for a more effective treatment)
You may also enjoy:
- Clear your Head! Neti reduces brain fog!
- An Ayurveda Consultation with me, HealthConsultant808@gmail.com
- Cleansing Toxins Through Breathing Video