Everyone loves summer, with the long days, lots of outdoor time and communing with nature. As we bid farewell to the high heat of summer, we begin to mindfully transition to Autumn. We mentally and emotionally prepare ourselves for the more internal reflective state of mind that the eventual winter will bring with the change of seasons and the gentle turning of the earth. Ayurveda teaches us how to create optimal health and take special care of our bodies during the transition of the seasons.
The cool fall air was nectar…
This is because these transitions are delicate and unstable times, we are neither here nor there. We are no longer at the place we were, nor are we established in the new situation. This is called sandhi, the junction, the joint/the in-between place. In the same way, the joints of our body are more delicate than the long bones. If we don’t promptly eliminate the excess that the previous season brought to us, (in this case, excess heat) this excess will cause problems, the root causes of disease…
In this way, Ayurveda teaches us to live in harmony with nature, working hand in hand.
“We have our part in the preservation of our health,
the prevention of disease, we can promote longevity
and Ayurveda shows us how!”
The high heat of the summer subjects us to an accumulation of heat in our bodies (even though we naturally tend to favor cooling foods in the summer, such as watermelon, juices, and salads.) Ayurveda texts teach us how to eliminate these excess ‘doshas’ or heat and stay out of the doctor’s office. Symptoms of excess heat can be; irritability, prickly heat rash is common, loose stools, rashes, irritability, anything with an ‘itis’ indicates inflammation, acid indigestion, and acid reflux to name a few. Which is why the end of each season is the best time eliminate the build-up from the previous season and to receive Pancha Karma if we can. Ultimately we want to promptly eliminate the ‘heat of summer’ so it doesn’t cause damage.
Create optimal health during the transition of seasons…
I will give you two lists, the first list contains a few simple, easy things you can do to eliminate some minor excess heat, the second is more of the warrior path, it’s not for everyone, but those who are really motivated, really need it or are superheroes of their own health and well being.
Simple (armchair want to be healthy) tips to eliminate excess heat, prevent that Summer heat from lodging into your system:
(Do these only for the next 2 weeks during this transition)
- Drink celery juice over the course of 3 days, celery juice is extremely anti-inflammation and pulls extra heat out of the liver and intestines. you can mix it with apple which is also cooling, and dilute a bit too.
- Add cilantro, or juice it! Cilantro is supercooling to the system!
- Have a few raw salads (at lunch) with organic coconut oil, nothing spicy for a few days.
Superhero, warrior, protector of your health, tips:
Do this for 5 days ASAP
Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet or doing the salt water cleanse.
- Use the power of routine. The ayurvedic routine is an influential tool in itself – and allows you to harness the power of daily cycles of Nature. Wake up before 6 AM, eat your main meal at midday, go to bed before 10 PM – all are very important points for balancing the three fundamental mind-body principles of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- Kitchery Mono diet
- Daily Abhyanga
- On day 4 do a salt water cleanse, email me for instructions.
If you need more specific help or guidance, I have a few spaces available for consultations in the next 2 weeks.
I care about your well being, let me know how this goes for you!
With warm aloha,